An explosion early Sunday at a residence in Rancho Peñasquitos sent one man to the hospital and is being investigated as a possible hash oil extraction operation, authorities said.
San Diego Fire-Rescue crews responded shortly before 12:15 a.m. after someone called to report an explosion and fire on Madrigal Street near Amalia Street. There was no flames when firefighters arrived, but the garage door had been blown off the home.
One man was taken to the hospital with second and third degree burns around his face and upper body, according to San Diego police. His name and age were not available.
Hash oil — said to be up to 90 percent more potent than traditional marijuana — is used in e-cigarettes, vaporizers and edibles, as well as topical uses such as lotions and patches. It is extracted from marijuana plants using volatile solvents
Hazardous materials crews were called in to ensure cylinders and other equipment in the garage were pressure safe. Agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives also were notified, as was a city building inspector.
Crews from Poway and Rancho Santa Fe fire departments also responded. Police said the investigation is continuing. No arrests have been made.